Can you reschedule a court date at the last minute?

Can you reschedule a court date at the last minute?

The simplest approach to postpone a court date is to appear in court. You can always go to court and request a delay. You can just request a rescheduling from the courts. The rescheduling will almost always require the approval of opposing counsel and the court, but if you have a good cause, it will almost always be granted.

In some states, there are fees that need to be paid in order to request a postponement. These fees range from $10 to $50. It's important to remember that you cannot pay the fee and then ask for a new date - once you are in court, you have to tell the judge why you want to change your date.

If you don't show up for your court date, you will be charged with contempt of court. Contempt of court is a criminal offense in many states. If you are found guilty of contempt of court, you could be sentenced to jail time or a fine.

It's important to note that judges do not like people who don't show up for court. If you cannot appear in court, make sure to send a letter requesting a postponement instead of showing up unannounced at the courthouse.

How do you ask a judge to postpone a court date?

Attend the court hearing. If you want to postpone the date merely because you need more time, you can appear and ask the court for extra time on that day. When you arrive, check in with the judge's clerk. Tell them what case you're there for and that you'd like to get a continuance from the court. They will tell you whether or not the judge is willing to grant you more time.

If the judge is amenable to your request, he or she will usually grant it. You should be given a new court date by the judge's clerk. If you are unable to make the new date, you must give the clerk written notice of your inability to appear by some means (such as mail or fax) so that another party is not prejudiced by your absence.

If you fail to appear in court as scheduled, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. Even if you later show up in court, a warrant has been issued for your arrest. You will have to pay a fine or serve out any jail sentence before the warrant will be canceled.

To avoid having a warrant issued for your arrest, appear in court as requested. If you are able to work with your attorney to come up with a reasonable settlement agreement outside of court, do so. This will prevent your case from going to trial and doing so will likely help you get less punishment as well.

What to do if you want to postpone a court date?

When discussing scheduling and the case in general, try to keep a cordial and businesslike relationship with the opposing counsel. The clerk will issue another court date that is either the same or later than the original one.

If you cannot make it to your court date because of an emergency situation (such as being hospitalized), then you should send a written letter to the court explaining the situation and asking for a new date. You can also call the court directly to request a new date. Be sure to follow up by sending or calling the court again as soon as possible after the initial request. Failure to do so may result in the dismissal of your case.

Court dates are important, so don't forget them. If you cannot make it to court, let the court know as soon as possible. Set up a new date through proper documentation or verbally with the judge's clerk.

About Article Author

Sandra Henley

Sandra Henley is a teacher, writer and editor. She has a degree in English and Creative Writing from Yale University and a teaching certificate from Harvard Divinity School.

Related posts