Building 9, which was built in 1839 to serve as Governors Island's military post hospital, has undergone a number of functions and titles over the course of its 180-year history. It helped identify the area of Nolan Park even before the yellow buildings arose and is now one of the island's oldest structures.
Today, it houses the National Museum of Natural History, but from 1972 to 1999, it served as the New York State Pavilion at the World's Fair. The state government sold the building to Cornell University for use as a medical center two years after the conclusion of the World's Fair. It remains today as one of Cornell's major research facilities.
Cornell has a contract with the federal government to provide health care for federal prisoners on the island. The university also contracts with several other institutions including Weill Cornell Medical College - Manhattan Campus, which provides residents with an opportunity to complete their residency training here. In addition, several hospitals on Long Island provide care for expatriates living in the region.
There are no hospitals on Governors Island itself, but patients can be transported by ambulance to any hospital in New York City or Brookline, Massachusetts.
Despite the fact that the present island was formed from three different islands, the Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital was comprised of 22 structures dispersed throughout the southern two islands. The islands were created by excavating fill and concrete from the New York City Subway, as well as demolitions from other buildings. The total area is about 100 acres (0.40 km2).
The hospital opened in 1892 with 50 beds. It was expanded several times, reaching its maximum size of 1,200 beds in 1954. After that year, new immigration laws restricted medical care for newly arrived immigrants, so the hospital closed its doors.
Most of the structures on the hospital campus are used today for medical offices or clinics, although a few are still used for hospital purposes. A small section of the original campus has been preserved as a museum highlighting the history of immigration to America.
With the hospitals came a construction boom of medical office complexes on both hospitals' grounds, as well as a Royal Palm Beach health center erected by West Palm Beach's Good Samaritan Medical Center. Residents and local authorities have prioritized public safety from the village's establishment. The police department has nine officers who work out of two stations.
Good Sam's Goodness: West Palm Beach's first hospital was established in 1947. Two years later, North Palm Beach followed with its own hospital. Together, these two hospitals form the basis for Royal Palm Beach. North Palm Beach's hospital is now used as a community facility while West Palm Beach's remains active today under the name of Good Sam's Goodness.
Both North Palm Beach and West Palm Beach are part of Palm Beach County. However, they are separate municipalities that share a border with each other to prevent traffic congestion. In addition, they have their own mayors and city councils who make decisions about their cities' policy. Royal Palm Beach has no official connection with North Palm Beach or West Palm Beach. It is an independent municipality within Palm Beach County.
In conclusion, Royal Palm Beach has Good Sam's Goodness and North Palm Beach/West Palm Beach hospitals. These are the only two hospitals in the village.
Rhode Island lacks a governor's residence. The state legislature used to rove about, and the island had five capitals until 1854, then two until 1900. Both of these characteristics made deciding on a permanent location for a mansion difficult. The current capital, Providence, was selected because it is near major universities with political science departments interested in serving as the home for the government. It is also far away from any other state capital, which means that governors won't be distracted by politics back home.
The governor's office is located in Providence at 1 Capitol Street. The house was built in 1765 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
There are several other locations across the state where former governors live, but they're not official residences like what you'll find in Maryland or Virginia. The Green-Taylor Mansion in Pawtucket is the oldest surviving presidential mansion in the country. It was built in 1764 for one of the first presidents, John Taylor. He was known as the "Father of Rhode Island." You can visit the mansion during museum hours.
The Burden House in Hamden is another historic site that's worth checking out. It was built in 1770 by William Burden, who served as treasurer under three different presidents. Today it is a museum devoted to Burden and his family.