The Cane River (Riviere aux Cannes) is a 30-mile-long (48-kilometer) river formed by a branch of the Red River in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana. The river flows into Lake Pontchartrain near the town of Grand Isle.
The name "Cane River" comes from the French canebre, which means "cane". When French settlers arrived in the area in 1702, they found the river full of rushes which made good fencing. They called it la Rivière des Reves ("the River of the Rushes"). Later, when sugar cane became a major industry in the region, the word "canefields" was used to describe the fertile lands along the river that produced sugar cane.
In 1872, after the death of his wife, John A. Martin developed a plan to have the body of his wife taken down river in a boat and buried in Texas. The idea came about because at the time there was no law against aliens being buried in U.S. soil. The body was to be hidden inside a crate marked "Jamaica Coffee" that was being transported down river for sale in Cuba. However, after the body was removed from the crate and opened, it was discovered that Mrs. Martin had been poisoned with strychnine. She died anyway.
The Saint Francis River is a Mississippi River tributary that runs through southeastern Missouri and northern Arkansas in the United States. The river drains primarily rural areas and forms part of the Missouri-Arkansas state boundary near the Missouri Bootheel's western edge. Its length is approximately 100 miles (160 km). One source states that the river flows into the Gulf of Mexico, but another source says it flows into the Tennessee River.
The name "Saint Francis" comes from a French abbreviation for la Sainte-Françoise, which was given to the river by French colonists. In 1873, France granted the area to America as part of the Louisiana Purchase Agreement. Therefore, the region now known as the Missouri Bootheel was once part of Louisiana.
There are no large cities along the Saint Francis River, but there are several small towns with populations ranging from less than 500 people to more than 10,000. It is a popular fishing destination for rainbow trout and black bass.
Geographically, the region is defined by flat plains interrupted by low hills and isolated mountains. The Bootheel's main city, West Monroe, lies at its heart with a population of about 7,000 people. Other towns include Mer Rouge on the west bank of the river and Paragould, which sits on the east bank.
The Red River, sometimes known as the Red River of the South, is a navigable river that runs southeast through Texas and Louisiana to a point northwest of Baton Rouge, where it connects with the Atchafalaya River, which flows south to Atchafalaya Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The combined rivers are about 95 miles (153 km) long.
The Red River begins in north-central Texas near the small town of Wilkerson. It flows generally east toward the Gulf of Mexico, passing through Dallas before entering Louisiana just west of Shreveport. The river collects several smaller streams along its route and has a total watershed of about 70,000 square miles (175,000 square kilometers).
When European settlers arrived in North America, they often followed the rivers system to find land that was easy to reach by water. In this way, they came to regard many of the rivers in Texas as the border between their territory and that of the Indians. However, some of the rivers in Texas have very arbitrary borders. For example, although the Red River is regarded as the border between Texas and Louisiana, there are actually two Red Rivers: one in Texas and one in Louisiana.
Another reason for these boundaries being so vague is that before the arrival of Europeans, Indian tribes used the rivers as trade routes, so they wouldn't blame any particular tribe for stealing anything from anywhere else.
The Red River Basin drainage region is approximately 40,200 square miles and includes sections of eastern North Dakota, northwestern Minnesota, and northeastern South Dakota in the United States, as well as southern Manitoba in Canada. The basin extends up to 350 miles inland from its border with Canada.
The main channel for the Red River runs through North Dakota between Fargo and Grand Forks. There are also smaller creeks and rivers that feed into the Red from the west. These include the Turtle Creek, which flows into North Dakota from south-southwest Saskatchewan; the Assiniboine River, which flows into North Dakota from east-northeast Montana; and the Bow River, which flows into North Dakota from southwest Alberta. The Red River flows into the province of Manitoba near Morris, Man.
In addition to being a major river, the Red has been important to commerce and industry since early settlers arrived in the region. In fact, the first bridge across the Red River was built in 1872! Today, many large industries operate within the Red River Basin including agriculture, oil and gas production, and mining. The most significant city in the region is probably Fargo, North Dakota which has more than 100,000 people.
For those who want to learn more about our planet, the Red River provides many opportunities to do so.
Wood River is located on the Mississippi River about 15 miles (24 kilometers) upstream of downtown St. Louis, Missouri, and is one of numerous connected communities and villages known as the "Riverbend" region. The present confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers is located just south of Hartford, one of these nearby settlements. The area was first settled in 1822 by William Lewis who called his settlement after the Irish river Woodford.
The confluence of the two rivers forms a large delta where most of the commerce in the region is conducted. East of the confluence the Mississippi flows through a broad valley with many lakes, while west of the confluence the Missouri hugs the rugged bluffs of its namesake river. The intersection of the two rivers is marked by a monument erected in 1922 by the United States to mark the completion of the Mississippi River Commission project that had been proposed by President Warren G. Harding. The commission was created by Congress in 1920 to manage water resources along the Mississippi River in order to prevent future conflicts between farmers and cities for access to the river's flow. The commission implemented several improvements to the river including construction of new channels and levees, development of flood control projects, and improvement of port facilities.
Wood River was once home to a major railroad yard which handled traffic from the surrounding farms and factories of St. Louis. The rail line ran through the center of town until it was abandoned in 1980.